Monday, March 7, 2011

1930's Marital Rating Scale

Every day I look at my life and am thankful for what I have.  I have a very supportive hubby and an adorable little monkey boy.  But sometimes we all have bad days, and on those days we need a good laugh.  And a reality check to make me even more thankful I wasn't around in the 1930's.

In the late 30's, a psychologist named George w. Crane, MD, PhD from Northwestern University thought it was a good idea to come up with a  way to match up the perfect couples.  So he interviewed 600 husbands and asked them about their wives positive and negative qualities.  He then took those qualities and gave them each a a rating (mostly 1 point, some as much as 10 points) to total 100 points, which then are interpreted thru the rating scale to decide whether your wife is very poor to very superior.  Don't worry though...he did the same scale for husbands too. Then he had applicants fill out the forms, and they were sent to a sorting machine to match people up.  Even though I find this whole thing very silly, it actually was very popular and was used for matchmaking (think of it as your grandparent's Match.com) and resulted in more than 5,000 marriages.  So take a seat with your significant other and see how you would each rate back then.  I'm sure I'd be a complete failure...very poor indeed.  But then again, so would my husband, so we'd be the perfect match!







No comments: