Sunday, January 30, 2011

No More Wire Hangers

So lately my son has been so crazy that I am beginning to feel like Mommy Dearest with all the discipline I've had to do. Now don't go calling child protective services. I'm not beating him with wire hangers or making him sit at the dinner table for a week with the same meal. Just lots of time outs and stern talks. And yet he still makes me feel awful after by asking me why I was being mean by making him cry. Or worse, while in his room in time out, yelling at the top of his lungs "HELP ME MOMMY" or "PLEASE MOMMY, I JUST WANT HUGS & KISSES!".

I always heard about the terrible twos, yet three just seems so much worse. He does what he likes, all the while looking at me with an evil grin because he knows he is doing something wrong. Consequenses mean nothing, and even though some days punishments like taking away a toy works, most days he treats them like empty threats (even though i always follow thru). I also was told, don't worry, they are always like this at home, but when you aren't around they are angels. Tell that to all his instructors for his gymnastics, sports and music classes.

And yet, all his crazy wild behavior is immediately forgotten when he looks at me with those big brown eyes and says "mommy, snuggle?!". I guess those moments are what separates us from animals in the wild...it stops us from eating our young.

1 comment:

Tricia ~~ Handmade Whimzy said...

Your sweet baby has learned the art of manipulation. You stick to your guns. He's probably just going through his terrible 4's (which are WAY worse than terrible 2's) a little early.
My son had terrible 1 1/2's and terrible 3 1/2's. Bless their hearts.
Enjoy it while you can.