Thursday, September 23, 2010

You Do Know the Muffin WOman

For some reason lately, I've been in the mood for muffins. And not just the run of the mill blueberry kind. I'm talking fresh from the oven bakery kind. But, since I love to bake, I set out to make my own. So today I made orange juice cranberry muffins and strawberry cream muffins. Man oh man are the delish!!!! So I figured I'd be nice and share my recipes with you guys. So here is the Orange Juice Cranberry muffin recipe I came up with...hope you love them too!

2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 cup sugar
1 tsp grated orange rind
1 & 1/2 fresh squeezed orange juice (if you don't use fresh squeezed, then use 1 cup frozen concentrate with pulp & 1/2 cup water, but the fresh squeezed is so much yummier)
1 egg
1/3 cup oil
1/2 cup dried cranberries (craisins)

Combine the flour, baking soda, salt, sugar, and orange rind. Stir it all together to make sure all the ingredients are evenly distributed. Make a well in the center, and pour in the orange juice, egg, and oil. Stir the mixture together just enough so that the flour is moist. Add the craisins and mix together, but don't over mix it as the batter should be lumpy. Pour the batter into 12 either greased or non-stick silicone muffin tins. If you are going to use the struesel topping listed below, then sprinkle that on top now. Bake at 400* for about 15-20 minutes until they are nicely browned on top. Remove from the oven, let cool slightly, and then try not to eat all these yummy warm muffins in one sitting.

In the picture above, I used a simple icing, but I have used the struesel topping as well, and both taste great with this muffin.

Icing:
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tbl milk
1 tbl vanilla bean paste

Combine in a small bowl, and then drizzle over warm muffins

Struesel:
1/3 cup flour
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 & 1/2 tbl melted butter
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Blend all ingredients together with a fork until it is coarse and crumbly. Sprinkle on top of muffin before baking.

1 comment:

Herb said...

these look yummy.... you know, I might have to stop over tomorrow for a quality control check.

I was formally trained in food quality at UF you know :)