Friday, September 3, 2010

Hooked on Phonics worked for me!

Ok, so let me preface this with one "fact"...my almost 3 year old son is a genius. But then again what parent doesn't think this about their child? He started talking at 1 year old, before he could even walk, and now we can't get him to be quiet for even a second. So, since I absolutely love to read, I decided it would be my mission to teach him early. I tried all the little tricks. I read to him constantly, pointing out very word so he'd start to get a sense of word recognition. I even tried the "My Baby Can Read" system. Luckily I just got the starter kit, cause it was a waste of time. All it teaches kids is to memorize a word on a flashcard. Great if you want to use a flashcard for every word in Webster's Dictionary! So, we got the entire Hooked on Phonics set this past Decemebr. He had just recently turned 2, and it states it is for pre-school age starting at around 3-4 year olds, but we began it anyway. He loved the DVDs, and how they had a song for every letter teaching him the corresponding phonetic sound. So this week I broke down and took out the Kindergarden lesson, which is the beginning of the actual reading portion. We started lesson 1 on Tuesday which covers three letter words ending in -an, -at, and -ap. Needless to say, he is already reading every three letter word with those endings we show him, even when we mix them up. Now don't get me wrong, my son has the typical 3 year old attention span of a flea, yet for the five minutes we can actually get him to sit still and pay attention, he is getting every one right!

So, if you are looking for a system that works, don't waste your money on any of those gimmicky ones that promise your kid can read right out of the womb. Invest in Hooked on Phonics...it really did work for me!

No comments: