Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Cuban Ropa Vieja Recipe

Growing up in Miami, I had the pleasure of learning all there is to know about delicious Cuban food.  But when I moved away to Atlanta (and then Massachusetts), I couldn't find any quality Cuban food anywhere.  Luckily I found this recipe along the way to give me just a taste of what I was missing.  Even now that I have returned to sunny Florida, I still make this as homemade ropa vieja just can't be beat.

Ingredients:
1 Tbl vegetable oil
2 lbs beef flank steak
1 cup beef broth
1 8oz can tomato sauce
1 small vidalia onion, sliced
1 green pepper, seeded and sliced into strips
2 cloves chopped garlic
1 6oz can tomato paste
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp chopped fresh cilantro
1 Tbl olive oil
1 Tbl apple cider vinegar
Mojo marinade (I use Badia brand, available in the ethnic aisle in your local grocery store)
Yellow rice
Black beans (see recipe below)

Marinate the steak overnight in the Mojo marinade.
Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
Brown the steak on both sides (about 4 minutes per side).
Transfer steak to a crock pot.
Pour in the beef broth and tomato sauce, then add the onion, bell pepper, garlic, tomato paste, cumin, cilantro, olive oil, and vinegar.
Stir until well blended.
Cover and slow cook on High for 4 hours or Low for 10 hours until beef shreds easily.
When ready to serve, shred meat and mix in with the sauce, and serve with rice and beans.

Black beans
Ingredients:
2 cans black beans
1 vidalia onion diced finely
1 green pepper diced finely
2 Tbl minced garlic
2 Tbl chopped black olives
1 tsp chopped fresh cilantro

Mix all ingredients together and place into a small crock pot and cook on Low for 1 hour.
Serve on top of yellow rice.

No comments: