Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Manly Meatloaf

I'll admit it, sometimes I like to just veg out in front of the TV with the Food Network on (I love the competition shows and Diners, Drive Ins, and Dives).  And sometimes I will see them making something and it just gets me in the mood for it.  This happened the other day when I saw Alton Brown talking about his favorite meatloaf.  He puts BBQ potato chips in it instead of bread crumbs and then cooks it in a smoker.  So, of course the next day I had to create my own version of this.  Since I don't have a smoker (sad face), I used liquid smoke in it instead.  Usually I will only try out my concoctions on my unsuspecting family (my husband says he knows when I walk out of the kitchen with the gleam in my eye, he's probably about to gain a few extra pounds).  However, we had a surprise guest that night so he had to be a taste tester as well.  I am pleased so say that it all went super (otherwise why would I be posting this recipe?)...in fact our guest said it was even better than his mother's meatloaf that he loves (we just won't tell her that).  So here it is for all to enjoy...my super moist Manly Meatloaf!



Ingredients:

1 lb ground sirloin
1 lb ground pork
3 eggs, slightly beaten
1 diced sweet vidalia onion
2 Tbl olive oil
1/2 cup ketchup
1 cup crushed garlic butter Ritz crackers
1 cup crushed BBQ potato chips (I used applewood smoked kettle chips)
1 tsp liquid smoke flavoring (original hickory)
1/2 green pepper diced
2 large carrots diced
2 tsp BBQ seasoning (I use Stubbs)
1 cup shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese
6-8 slices bacon
BBQ sauce (my favorite is from Fat Matts Rib Shack in Atlanta, GA...you can order it online!)

Preheat your oven to 375*
Over medium high heat, heat up the oil in a frying pan.
Add the diced onions and cook until golden brown (carmelized).  Set to the side to let them cool.
Using your hands, mix together everything but the bacon and BBQ sauce.
Grease a cookie sheet, and then shape the meat mixture into a loaf on the sheet.
Lay the bacon slices across the top width wise.
Cover loosely with foil and bake for 1 1/2 hours.
Remove the foil and bake another 15-20 minutes until the bacon is well done on the ends.
Slice and serve with a drizzle of BBQ sauce on top

No comments: